Hudson's idea for Shooting Watch first came about after some kid at the
Caravan tour saw Takahashi Meijin's button pressing skills, the kid sent him
a letter asking exactly how fast his finger speed was. So they measured it
and it came out at 16 shots a second, this is where Meijin's nickname
"16Shot" was born.
Hudson then went on produce the Shooting Watch in 1987 and it was a complete
success, it sold over 1 million units. 2007 marked the 20th anniversary for
SW and to celebrate Hudson rereleased it, but only in limited quantity and it
sold out immediately :(
Because I couldn't get hold of one I got the idea to make a DS homebrew
version. I had no experience in coding for DS so I decided to ask retrohead
to help me. And thus Shooting Watch DS was born.
Navigate the menus using the buttons on the touch screen or the corresponding
button on the DS.
5 modes in all are featured in Shooting Watch DS to try and resemble the
original modes along with extra modes that are found in flash games found
on the internet. Due to the DS's unique feature of a touch screen, we thought
it would be good to let you navigate and play using the stylus aswell so this
has also been implemented.
Here is a breakdown of the modes included in the game:
- Shooting This is the main mode in the game. The aim is to press
the A button or tap the touch screen as fast as possible.
If you manage to beat a certain pre-set score, you will
explode the melon which is quite satisfying and master
will show his appreciation for your prowess. See if you
can earn his respect and once you have that, you can aim
to beat Takahashi Meijin's astonishing average of 16 Shots
Pad control - Tap the A buttton to tap the melon.
Stylus - Tap the screen anywhere to play with stylus.
- Clock Mode Just a simple clock that reads from the consoles internal
clock. Nothing special here.
- Stop Watch This is a basic stop watch. The maximum time is 100 minutes
then the timer will start again. Start or stop the timer
with the A button and reset it with the B button.
- 3 Slots Your classic slot machine with 3 reels. The original device
did not include this but flash versions found on the internet
do. We added to it by showing some fruit to improve the feel
of playing a real slot machine. Check out the prize table for
what you can win.
- 4 Slots Exactly the same as the 3 slots but a bit harder because now
you have to match 4 reels. The reward for winning this mode
is double that of the 3 Slots Mode. Feeling lucky?
v2.4 Bug Fix Release
- Fixed bug with rank showing as 23th etc.
- Fixed WiFi transfer when using a name with a space in it.
- Added new icon from Take The Eggs.
v2.3 Bug Fix Release
- Attempted to fix sprites error "Sorry, there just seems to not be enough
place to put all your sprites !!". This should be OK now.
- Fixed music bug in "Slots" modes.
- Fixed music bug in "Audio Test" mode
- Fixed music bug in "Enter Nick" mode.
- Added option to turn music off in "Audio Test" Mode
- Added note to WiFi Transfer mode that you can press Start button to cancel.
v2.2 Minor Fixes Release
- Added Lode Runner skin.
- Built with latest tool chain.
- SoundFx and music now use AS_Lib as with latest PA Lib beta.
- Save file can now be in any directory. As default the game searches for
the location of a previous save then location of the nds file. If neither
are found (if you rename the nds file), the save file will be created in
the root directory but can be moved afterwards.
- WiFi transfer now retrieves rank correctly (Up to 100, was only retrieving
rank 10 maximum before).
- When you win on the slots, you can now hold A or B button to make the coins
count up twice as fast. (Fixed 4 slot mode, only worked in 3 Slot before).
- Can hold B button to make text scroll faster in the shop.
- After playing Shoot mode, the rank shown is now how you ranked for your
last go rather than your best rank overall.
v2.1 WiFi Bugfix Release
- Updated WiFi transfer mode to be more reliable.
- New fail safe option during WiFi transfers. If WiFi transfer hangs, press start to cancel the operation.
- When you win on the slots, you can now hold A button to make the coins count up twice as fast.
v2.0 Second Public Release (WiFi, Hiscores & Coins)
*If you start by pressing the stylus, you cannot change to the A button half way through your game.
- Added score and progress saving via DLDI
- You can now win coins for playing Shooting mode or one of the Slot modes
- Menu system added
- Hi Score system implemented
- WiFi transfer to send your scores and recieve a worldwide ranking
- The top 10 ranked players from the website are downloaded to the DS after a WiFi transfer
- Removed being able to use stylus and A button at the same time in Shooting Mode which allowed cheating. You must now use the control method you start with*.
- Added a shop with the ability to buy skins and icons
- Website created to store scores, coins, exploded melons and icon selection for the top 100 players
- Audio Test menu added
- New rewards for playing games
- Can now see all the combinations to win on the slot mode
v1.0a - First public release
v1.0 - First private test release
36 betas and 2 alphas - sure they were fun
There are no major problems with the game at all. Sometimes you may experience connection problems when using the WiFi Transfer mode and the game may not get past the connecting screen. In this case, reboot your DS and try connecting before entering any of the other menus. If the problem still persists then the problem must lie within your DS connection configuration.